Monday, November 17, 2014

Dear Megan,

       I arrived about in New York about a month ago. Things are very different here. Just he other day a man in a suit came to our door and had a long talk with Ben, my husband. Afterwards Ben told me he had a new job in the government as long as he voted for a certain man in senate. We were thrilled of course and now Ben is making more money than ever before. Our kids, Charlotte and James, are doing well too. They help around the house and make my day much brighter. The house, might I mention is not very bright. In fact, it has but only one window. We hardly know the time of day when we're inside. As a family of immigrants, we are generally looked down on and are not taken seriously. The other "Truly American" kids are quick to shun the children too. It's hard to make friends, and the only one I truly connect with is a young man named Earnest. He was quick to accept us and helps out however he can.

      On my way to the market every few days I have to pass through the upper class neighborhoods and I wish so much to own one of those houses someday. I know I probably won't but maybe one of my kids will. I can see how the people that live there look down on me and it hurts. Someday they will see me as a true American and will see me and my family for who I am.

The Process of becoming an American is strenuous to say the least. We are trying to loose our accents and drop the language as much as possible. On top of that we are obtaining as many new clothes as we can to try and fit in. I feel like I'm loosing a part of me. But I can't say I'm not excited about it either. Once we become a part of this new world, we will truly be happy.

Love, Celetse





No comments:

Post a Comment