Thursday, March 12, 2015

Birmingham Civil Rights Field Trip

    On the field trip to Birmingham this year I learned very many things. While in the Church, I enjoyed watching the short documentary. It is so interesting, to watch old footage of people from that era, knowing that I am standing in the exact same spot, not a replica or looking at a photo. I believe that's the value of going to the historic landmark, it makes it more personal and meaningful. The way the stained glass picture of Jesus was all held intact through the bomb except for his face mad me feel kind of creeped out, to be honest. I don't think anyone can prove or disprove the existence of God, but when thing like that happen, it really makes me wonder about that guy in the sky.

   While in the Civil Rights Institute, I liked seeing the objects that one of the little girls had in the bombing. The glass case that had a pair of shoes, bracelet, cross necklace, pocket bible and shard of brick that was lodged in her skull. That made the whole event much more real to me. It's just so hard to even comprehend such a horrible thing happening. Also I thought that the mannequins were really creepy.

   Lastly, I very much enjoyed the trip and just getting out of Huntsville and the classroom. Everyone should have to go on this trip.




The Birmingham Civil Rights Institute

No comments:

Post a Comment