Friday, March 6, 2015

Questions About World War I

   World War 1 began in 1914 and the immediate cause was the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, the archduke of Austria. The two groups were know as the Triple Entente (Britain, France, and Russia) and the Triple Alliance (Germany, Austria-Hungary and Italy).

   The United Sates entered the war on April 6, 1917. One of the reasons the US entered the war was because a German submarine sunk the Lusitania, a British passenger liner, that killed 128 Americans. This greatly increased tensions.

   World War 1 ended on November 11, 1984. Germany surrendered due to lack of food, supplies, and manpower. After that, eventually the Treaty of Versailles was negotiated and signed.

   The Treaty of Versailles was not signed by the US because it did not agree with the high price Germany was to pay for its role as an aggressor.

  World War 1 makes me wonder if I'll ever have to live through a world war and what that would mean in a 21st century lifestyle. It makes me wonder about drafting and if they would change it so women can be drafted for gender equality. If I'm going to be completely honest, a potential draft really scares me. And I hope it never comes to that.


No comments:

Post a Comment